Why travel to the Holy Land

Discover Palestine in its historical context! As well as visiting places of the past, discover Palestine’s present-day culture

Although we are not able to go back in time to a landscape untouched, it is nevertheless impossible to deny the beauty ofPalestineas we see it today. If you want to find history at every turn, soak up the atmosphere of an area sacred to three religions, inhale the fragrance of fig and olive trees hundreds of years old, shelter in the shadow of a thousand mosques and churches, then take a trip toPalestine.

The land of believers,Palestine opens its arm to all those who embrace it and share in the pain of those suffering there. A land which is three times glorified and blessed:Palestine’s strength and weakness both stem from her ancient roots.

Palestine is a land which is claimed by the Jews, Christians and Muslims, and also by other minority groups such as Druze and Bahai. It has a vast number of holy sites including the Al Aqsa Mosque, the Dome of the Rock, the Western Wall, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, the Church of the Nativity and Shepherds’ Field in Bethlehem, the Cave of the Patriarchs or Haram al-Ibrahim in Hebron and many other treasures that were discovered after various excavations – successful endeavours that each day reveal another new piece of this country’s mystery.

Palestinehas always been a political, cultural, social, and spiritual centre. The first to inhabit the land and leave traces of their civilization were the Canaanites and the Philistines, around 3000 BC.

There are traces of all the peoples and civilizations that have lived in Palestine: the Jebusites, the Arameans, Moabites, Amorites, Nabataeans, Pharaohs, Persians, Romans, Muslims, Crusaders, Ottomans, British. ..
Since 1948 – when the State of Israel was established on 78% of the land of Palestine – and 1967 – when the Israel army started to occupy the remaining 22% to the Palestinian land (West Bank and Gaza Strip) – there has been no other conflict that has caused so much bloodshed.

One visits theHoly Landto see its sacred places, so special to all three monotheistic faiths, to experience the ancient archaeological sites and monuments of its rich history. A country with great environmental diversity – desert, mountains, green valleys, sea – a country of scents, colours and ambience. A country where warmth is found in the welcome of its people.

One also visitsPalestine to discover and better understand a situation of absurd injustice that continues to divide the world, and thus one visits to show solidarity to the inhabitants of this land. The sanctity of their country has meant that since ancient times they have endured much suffering and anguish, caused by successive occupations. We visit this region to affirm our commitment to justice, to freedom, to respect for human rights and to democracy- the founding values of our humanity – and to encourage respect and understanding between peoples and civilizations.

Comments are closed.